Episode 8 - Remembering a Woodworker

·

Ron Black, manager of the Denver Woodcraft store, passed away suddenly on December 9, 2008, at the age of 44.

I last saw Ron the week before he died, and he greeted me with a smile much like the one in the photo (that's Ron on the left with Eric Letzler, owner of the Denver Woodcraft store). Each time I walked into the store Ron would shout out "Hey Erik's here, double the prices!"

No matter how busy he was, Ron always took time to talk to the customers and never tired of teaching someone about woodworking. He was an avid woodturner and was directly responsible for getting me hooked on pen turning.

Ron may be gone, but his influence lives on in all the woodworkers he touched and inspired. I'll miss you buddy.

4 comments:

TheWoodWhisperer said...
January 6, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Sorry for your loss man. And my condolences to his family and friends. Very sad indeed......

Anonymous said...
January 14, 2009 at 7:29 AM  

The loss of a good guy like him is hard to bear. A friendly face and good customer relationships is a craft in it self. Whoever takes over will have some large shoes to step into. My prayers are with his family.

Sash Clamps said...
June 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

My condolences to the family and friends of Ron Black.

dovetail jig said...
February 9, 2012 at 2:54 AM  

My condolences to the loss of a great woodworker like hime, I'm sure he will be missed.

Woodcraft.com Visit Rockler.com - Woodworking Superstore!